Learn how to butcher a pig on a cookery course in Birmingham.
Join Loaf for a fantastic pork butchery and charcuterie experience. The course is led by experienced cook and charcuterie enthusiast Lap-fai Lee, with a pig butchery demonstration from Bournville’s organic butcher Steve Rossiter. This day long course will take you through options for creating amazing charcuterie, as well as fresh pork dishes, from almost every part of the pig. You’ll also be creating your own porky lunch in the middle of the day.
During the day you’ll be learning:
- How to butcher a half-pig into primals, and de-bone as necessary
- How to make guanciale from the cheeks
- How to make pancetta from the belly
- How to make back bacon from the loin (theory)
- How to brine a ham (theory)
- How to make and link fresh sausages
- How to make dry cured sausages such as salami and chorizo.
You’ll feel right at home at Loaf, and everything you learn will set you up for recreating everything you have learnt at home. All refreshments, equipment, recipes and aprons are provided.
Your day-long workshop includes a delicious lunch and take-home fresh pork, you will also receive the charcuterie you create; which you’ll collect when they have cured.
It should go without saying, but this course is not suitable for Vegetarians or Vegans. It is also not suitable for coeliacs.
The course takes place on a Thursday daytime from 9.30am to 4pm at Loaf in Stirchley, South Birmingham. We run this course in the cooler months; Oct, Nov, Jan & Feb.