Loaf is a cooperative-run bakery and cookery school based in Stirchley, South Birmingham since 2009. We aim to build community through real food and healthy living in Birmingham.
Our bread and pastries are freshly baked on site along with hearty lunches for the workers of Stirchley, while next door we teach bread-making and cookery skills. We look forward to meeting you!
We plan to fully re-open our cookery school in January 2022. Read our plans here.
News from Loaf
- A postcard from MachynllethAs many of you know, Loaf began in Tom and Jane Baker’s kitchen on Dell Road in 2009. They baked bread for the neighbours and taught the first breadmaking classes before moving into our high street bakery […]
- New honey!We’ve been looking for more local honey suppliers for years and at the recent Birmingham Beekeepers show at Winterbourne we struck liquid gold with not one but two apiaries! Arden Forest Honey is a family-run business in […]
- Migrant Help – this quarter’s charityEvery quarter we raise money for a different charity working in Birmingham, and between now and Christmas it’s Migrant Help. You can add a donation to your online order or at the counter when you visit us, […]
- Meatballs!Last Friday Molly brought meatball sandwiches to the Loaf lunch menu for the first time and it went down very well. “The meatballs were ace!” said Dave. And who are we to argue! To keep it special, […]
- Loaf sponsors Bournville FC under 12 girls!Calling yourself a community bakery is easy. How to be a community bakery is a whole other thing and something we revisit often. It turns out there are as many definitions of community as there are people […]
- Loaf’s visit to Mill FarmSix of Loaf went on a road trip last week. Here’s Sarah to tell you what we got up to. Jonathan, the owner of Mill Farm near Worcester, has been farming for over 50 years, so he’s […]
- Paying a Real Living WageOver the summer we found the welcome pack from the Living Wage Foundation which had arrived at the start of the pandemic and had somehow been forgotten. Among other things it contained a sticker which you might […]
- Rachel’s Sarehole Mill adventureAs a bakery, Loaf is very lucky to be able to make connections with mills and farms across the country. As you’ve seen in previous newsletters, we are passionate about developing our knowledge of heritage grain and […]